Saturday, December 15, 2018

Happy December


Happy December –

The Hague, The Netherlands
This month has been a little more chill than the last (in both activity and temperature), it’s been generally very gray and rainy across Brittany so things have been a bit more relaxed, at least for me. Politically it’s been a mess, and I’m sure some of you have read all about the protests and attacks and what not, but honestly it’s been a lot more calm than most people would really think from reading the papers.

The semester has essentially ended, it’s now the exam period on campus and I’ve given most of my exams so I’m just hanging out. I’ve done my best to go out and explore in and around France this month, which has been really cool, but I’ve also had a lot of time to read, draw, and practice some Spanish which has all been decent. I’ve met and hung out with lots of cool people in Rennes, and it’s been really nice to expand groups but also to get some depth in the activities I’ve been doing here. I’ve been pretty consistent with rock climbing lately which has led to some really great results, I’ve been consistently getting black routes (V6s, perhaps?), which has been really satisfying. I’ve also kept up with the dancing thing so while I’m definitely not great I’m at least able to keep up now which has also been satisfying.

Quimper, France


Since coming back from fall break, I’ve been in and out of Paris to visit friends and celebrate birthdays (happy belated 25th to Jérémie and Mélanie!), so I’ve gotten to know the French train system and its quirks really well. I got myself this bullet-train pass that lets me hop on most high-speed trains in France if I reserve it far enough in advance, so it’s made it really convenient to see the cities on the high-speed rail lines at least. I was particularly thrilled to finally make it to Quimper, which is in the west of Brittany – I’d been wanting to go there for ages and it did not disappoint, it’s a very pleasant town with beautifully-preserved medieval fortifications.

I had an exciting little trip up north to The Netherlands to have an amazing third international meet-up with Carley, and we were extremely successful again this time, meeting up in Rotterdam and spending the following day exploring The Hague. I’d never actually been to this part of the Netherlands before so it was exciting for me, especially considering that Rotterdam is not exactly a typical old European city. The best part of the trip (aside from the company of course!) was definitely the poffertjes, impossible to resist in that kind of cold!

The Hague, The Netherlands
Thanksgiving was a great time in Rennes, I met up with the TAPIFers and we did a very classic American thanksgiving complete with a solid selection of veg food, cranberry sauce (which Anna somehow managed to find in France!), no less than eight bottles of cider, and mac-and-cheese and a tarte aux pommes, so everything that we really needed. It’s funny that I seem to be able to have much more festive Thanksgivings while not in the US than when I am in the US. Anyway, quickly following Thanksgiving this year was Hanukkah, and I made it all the way out to Metz (in the Lorraine region in eastern France) to hang out with Sarah and her friends and to have a great Hanukkah party there. I made a quick stop by Paris and went to a famous little doughnut shop owned and run by some Americans, and while I’m all in favor of French food I think that proper doughnuts are best made by Americans so I was pleased with myself. I also made a little foray out to Strasbourg to see the cathedral and the Christmas markets, which was really satisfying since I’d wanted to visit there for a long time. I was there about one week before the terrorist attack, so I was really pretty unaffected by it, but it was really awful to hear about, I don’t have words to really express it.

Metz, France
The gilet jaunes (“yellow vests”) have been the main preoccupation around here at least as far as disorder goes. They’ve gone pretty crazy in Paris with protests, but around Rennes they’ve been much calmer, mainly just blocking highways and roundabouts to disrupt traffic and publicize their message. The origin of all of this was an unpopular fuel tax instituted by Macron (the French president) which is fundamentally aimed at reducing greenhouse emissions. While I agree with the end purpose, I’m generally in agreement with the protesters that it targets the rural and poorer populations unfairly, and that as noble as it might seem, there are better ways to reduce greenhouse gases such as funding and subsidizing electric vehicles, and slowly levying a tax on gas rather than just a harsh tax now. I absolutely don’t agree with their methods though, and the protests are certainly out of control and arguably at this point directly mostly by agitators who are just interested in causing destruction and disorder.

Strasbourg, France

Chartres, France
The other main protest movement has been a blockade of many schools in France (mostly high schools and universities), at the hands of the students. At the university level, they are protesting against increasing fees and admissions reform, among other things, which I can understand, but again I am fervently against their methods. Things have gotten somewhat out of hand at Rennes-2, with students vandalizing and setting things on fire, and some skirmishes with the riot police. The blockades during the exam period have been especially hard on the teaching staff and on the students who are studying for and taking their exams, and it’s thrown the entire system and semester into disorder. I was passionate enough about it that I went to the last “general assembly” of students, which had maybe 1000 people, and after presenting arguments and speeches about the situation (which apparently took four hours – I purposely only came at the very end), we voted and in a massive turning point we ended the blockade democratically, at least for two days, which is at least enough to bring back some level of normality for the students that need it most. It’s a bit of a mess of a situation, but it was interesting for me at least to be a part of the democratic process here.

Le Mans, France

 Otherwise, I’ve been passing my time mostly by hanging out, and taking little side-trips out places, the most recent of which were to Chartres to see Andrew and Le Mans just to explore. Politics aside, it’s been very chill, and I’ve been enjoying the end of the semester. My parents are visiting next week, and then I’m traveling a bit in Spain and Portugal, but that’s about all that’s new. Until next time!

15 December, 2018; Rennes, France.

No comments:

Post a Comment