Thursday, March 14, 2019

Flights and Flu


San Sebastián, Spain
The semester is already approaching its end – about one month to go before final exams, and since I’m not taking or administering any final exams (at least during the exam period), I’ll essentially be done with work in Rennes in just under one month’s time. It’s all flown by pretty quickly, really, but the past couple of months have definitely contributed to that a lot!

I’ve been working more hours this semester, heavily stacked to Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, and have been a bit more serious about Spanish classes this semester since I finally found teachers that I like (and actually learn from). So the time has really gone by quickly. I’ve filled a lot of weekends with travel, as per usual, and have made it to a lot of cool places – I got to spend a few (rainy and windy, but exciting) days in San Sebastián where I got a real language shock going out with Raquel and her very kind friends, but I learned a huge amount and had a delicious variety of pintxos – I still dream about the bolas de queso!

Budos, France
I also finally made it to Bordeaux with Lacie, Ryan, Anna, and Jack and we spent a fantastic weekend doing winery tours (meeting a very kind old French lady, her terrified dog, and her charming cat) and seeing the centre-ville, after the Gilet Jaunes had left it anyway. I discovered the Bordeaux wine is indeed actually all it’s hyped up to be, and we all bought bottles of Graves and Sauternes that were actually incredible.

Santa Cruz, California
For my 10-day February break, I made the intrepid voyage all the way to San Francisco which seemed insane beforehand and even more so in retrospect to hang out with Thomas, Cory, and Jason and to have a little return to the Pacific. Unfortunately on Day #2, we all got sick with the flu, which was a truly horrible experience – I hadn’t felt that sick for a very long time, I could barely move and was pretty much bedridden with a 103.5-degree fever for three days straight. When the fever finally broke I was stuck with a hacking cough that came with me all the way back to Europe (making the 11.5-hour plane ride pretty hellish), essentially limiting the tourism that I was hoping to do both in the US and after. As it was, in California I managed to see San Jose and Santa Cruz before getting sick, which was nice, and had a nice time walking along the beach for those days that I was healthy or recovering, but I completely missed out on San Francisco and on the Santa Cruz surfing. In Germany, where I landed, I completely missed out on Frankfurt because of illness and jetlag, and managed a couple hours of walking through the old town of Heidelberg the next day (which was very pleasant), but that was it. I had a long trip back by bus and train to Rennes, and then spent the next week slowly recovering while teaching. I feel normal now, but it was pretty unfortunate that I flew 6000 miles each way just to catch the flu. Regardless, it was nice to see my friends, and sick or not, I appreciated it.

Heidelberg, Germany
Last week I felt well enough to pick traveling back up, and took a fantastic trip to the Loire Valley to see the chateaux, again with Lacie, Ryan, and Anna, and with the lovely addition of Luka, Danielle, Alex, and Jorn (who rented a car to be able to join us!). We ironically missed out on Chenonceau which is probably the most famous of the Loire castles, but did a good job of hitting up Chambord, Cheverny, Blois, and Amboise, where I was surprised but impressed to find the one and only Leonardo da Vinci’s chapel and tomb. It was a great experience to be able to see so much architecture and countryside with cool people, I’m thrilled to have had the opportunity.

Chambord, France
For now, I’m trying to optimize the rest of my time in Rennes – I’ll be taking another few trips to Paris and even as far out as Dijon and Besançon if all goes well. I’m hoping to make it to Lausanne to see Harsh and Alberto who I met way back in London (like, 20 blog entries ago), which should be a great reunion. And finally, I’m planning on spending several weeks in Nerja, Spain to get some Spanish immersion in April/May.

Cheers as always!

Rennes, France; 14 March 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment